The World Of Jadeey: Get a haircut



Get a haircut

And get a real job


It is not unusual for people to think my job is not a 'real job'. I'm not sure why it is but I guess there are a lot of places that just have the connotation of being a student job. Any fast food chain, cinema, supermarket. They are places students get jobs so, even though I'm the boss and a student COULDN'T do my job, people consider my job a student job as well.

It kinda hurts that people think that way. Without doubt my job isn't the hardest job around but it also isn't the easiest. And I do work hard so for people to call it not a real job really bugs me. Whenever I run into people I went to school with and what we are doing now gets discussed I see the look on their faces. The look that implies I'm yet to make something of myself. Amusingly, I probably earn a more than a lot of the people who look at me that way.

In fact, only once in my memory has someone actually had a favourable reaction when I told them what I do. And who knows, maybe he was faking it.

I hope when it's time for me to move on future employers don't consider this 'not a real job'. That would really fuck me off. It'd also leave me screwed, with no good job prospects.

I clicked on the wrong file earlier and opened an old notepad document. I make a lot of random notes on notepad, label them with stupid filenames and forget about them. They languish on my harddrive until for some reason I open them and, generally, delete them.

The one I opened today was simply entitled 'hmmm'. (See what I mean about stupid filenames?) All it said inside was "Kevin is too cute for words." But this simple sentence sent me into a frenzy of confusion. Who is Kevin? If he is so cute why have I now forgotten who he is completely? Why did I feel his cuteness was important enough to be noted down - did I know that otherwise I might forget?

I really want the who is Kevin question to be answered. I don't know ANY Kevin's. The only one I can think of is K-Fed and it sure as shit ain't him I was referring to. So who on earth was it?

If anyone knows any cute Kevin's let me know and I'll check them out and see if they are my Kevin. Thanks. :)
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

6 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Becca G said...

I don't know who your Kevin is but, I definitely understand the "get a real job" thing. I work for a college and get the same reaction from a lot of people too.
Love your blog, by the way.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Thanks!

Damn that you don't know Kevin though - I really want to know who he is.

I don't get the whole 'not a real job' thing. It's full-time, it pays well and it's actually making good use of my degree. I think it's a real job. And I'm sure yours is too. People are dumb!

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Daniel McClelland said...

Hey, sorry, I do promise I'm not stalking you, but this blog is a great read. As for the job idea, it's all about marketing yourself man. Last year, I would say, like a totally pretentious tosser, "Oh, me? I'm the Assistant Manager for thirty or so staff in our building. You can imagine what that's like: making sure 30 people get paid ok is quite a responsibility. There was this one time..." and then I would distract them with some very high-powered managerial anecdote. Five minutes could go by before they found it was a movie theatre I was talking about, and by then they'd have learnt that it's a Real Job.

But then I'd feel bad afterwards 'cause a) I'd technically hid the fact that I worked for a place I was proud of, and b) I was being a prick.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Ah stuff 'em! I know what you do and it IS a real job. Plus you get to do cool stuff they don't get to do: Like give all your friends free movies, see movies before they come out, go overseas to conferences, get free promotional stuff...

Your job is real and it has better perks then most!

As for Kevin is it possible you didn't write it? When did you write it? (look at the properties and it will tell you when you saved it)

:-)

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Daniel - you are totally allowed to read my blog without me thinking you are stalking me. I read yours a bit and I'm pretty sure I'm not stalking you. :) (Heh I get a bit afraid to comment though - I've seen people get shotdown pretty badly by your friends in the comments :) )

I might have to try your suggestion. I usually try and push my degrees as a way to impress but I think half the time people then say to themselves "She's got a BCA in management and now she's working in a movie theatre? What's that about?" So maybe I come off worse.

Next time I'll give showing off about the hard parts of my job a go and see if that works. I often wonder if Nigel, or Jennings had the same problems or if maybe it's a combination of my age and where I work. I can't imagine Jennings standing for being told he doesn't have a real job so I doubt people thought it for long if at all.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Kat - I guess everyone in the industry themselves agrees that it's a totally awesome job so that's something. Ha and my friends who get to scab the free movies off me also think it's an awesome job!

I definitely wrote the Kevin thing. It's on my laptop so I'm the only one who uses it. I checked and it was only written a month ago, so how have I forgotten already? Perhaps I'm going senile in my old age.

I bet eventually I'll remember and it'll be a total letdown. In fact, knowing me, Kevin is probably a character in a movie I've watched recently!

 

Post a Comment