The World Of Jadeey: Cricket and American politics



Cricket and American politics

Haha this post is about two things, cricket and American politics. Sam, I think that means you might be the only person who is interested in both topics. Hopefully the rest of you will like one or the other. If not, I've written another post about mowing the lawn and one about the fact that it is my birthday so hopefully there's something for everyone today.

Most of you know I am currently hating New Zealand Cricket quite a lot. In fact, it is at the point where I barely watch any cricket anymore. This is not something that is going to last, without doubt I'll go back to watching lots of cricket again soon, but for now I can't bring myself to watch it with as much passion and commitment as I used to.

However, I do still follow cricket news and I'm going to now give my opinions on it because, well, I'm like that.

First up, we are quickly losing some of our best players because New Zealand Cricket are a bunch of arrogant fuckers who won't get their heads out of their asses long enough to make a decision that actually benefits New Zealand cricket. They have made the decision that any cricketers who sign with the rebel Indian League won't be considered for selection for New Zealand ever again. Fine, I can understand the logic but when we have Shane Bond and Kyle Mills signing with them I think something needs to be done. Find a way to keep them. I don't give a fuck what it is, just do it. Sure, we don't have the money to offer them an equal amount of cash but I'm sure cash isn't the only reason they're going. They say it is but I find that hard to believe when the non-rebel Indian League is offering only slightly less money and you can still play for New Zealand if you sign with them instead. I don't think it's a stretch to say that what Shane Bond and Kyle Mills are really doing it (even if they are still too loyal to actually say it to the media) is saying a big 'fuck you' to NZ Cricket by signing with the rebels. And, lets face it, NZ Cricket thoroughly deserve it.

New Zealand finally selected Jesse Ryder to play for New Zealand today, in the upcoming Twenty20 series against England. I've been waiting for Ryder to get selected for a long time. In a move I don't fully understand they have selected him this year, when his average is shit, rather than last year when his average was outstanding. I'm thinking they are going with potential and reputation rather than current form. Probably not the best idea, if he's out of form then what use is he? I'm hoping (but not really confident) that they have some plan to get him back into form before the first match. Still, I can't help being pleased that he's been selected since I've been waiting so long. It should have been last year but I'll take this year, even if he isn't in the best form.

They have also selected Tim Southee. Now, I don't know much about this guy other than that he is only 19, plays for Northern Districts and is a medium-fast bowler. His averages seem pretty good and I'm quite looking forward to watching him.

Onto politics. I was playing swingball today with my nephew when I did a really big swing with my bat but completely missed the ball and got a bit off-balance. My nephew then made a comment that really interested me. He either said "That was silly, just like that dumb Iraqi bomber" or "That was silly, just like that dumb Barack Obama". I honestly don't know which it was that he said. I'm hoping Iraqi bomber since I don't want my nephew to turn out to be a dirty Tory!

It interests me that we are hearing about the primary results everyday on our news but we are mainly hearing about the Democratic candidates rather than the Republican candidates. I'm not sure why this is, perhaps because the race between Clinton and Obama (and lets face it, it really is only between those two) is far more interesting than what's going on with the Republican candidates. Or, perhaps it because New Zealander's are just smart and left-wing. (Unfortunately I think that theory is going to be shot down during our own election since I think that bloody National is going to win.)

I was watching the news tonight and they were talking about Helen Clark wanting to have 16 and 17 year olds only being able to leave high school if they are going into an apprenticeship or training programme of some kind. Personally I think it's a great idea. Then they interviewed bloody John Key about why he thought it was a stupid idea. I hate that guy and disagreed completely with what he was saying but he sure knows how to talk. People are going to vote for him without even knowing what he's really saying just because he's a good talker. I hate that!

I've got lots of people telling me that it's time for a change anyway, that you don't want the same Government in for too long but I firmly disagree. I could perhaps agree back when we used First Past the Post but with MMP, no way. With the way our government works now they don't have total power so things stay a lot more even. I will always be happy as long as we have a left-wing government. I will never be happy with a right-wing government. That's a fact.

Okay, enough rambling from me. Don't forget my birthday (only a few hours away now - the 31st Jan) I expect to hear from everyone. :P
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment