The World Of Jadeey: Why did I transfer? Isn't it obvious?



Why did I transfer? Isn't it obvious?

I've gotta start packing up my stuff to move back to Wellington. The challenge is deciding what to send with the movers and what to take in the car with me. It wouldn't be a difficult choice except that it will be a week or so before I get my stuff. Because I'm moving RIGHT before Christmas my stuff probably won't arrive back in Wellington until just after Christmas. This means I need to figure out what stuff I will need during that time. I guarantee I'll want anything that goes with the movers and nothing that comes in the car with me!

I was having a discussion with Kat before, we were talking about me, and others, leaving Hoyts. She said she considers staying less than a year, which is what I am doing, sort of giving up. Now, in case anyone else thinks this as well, I am going to state my case here. I've already stated my case to her but I don't know what the rest of you are thinking so you just have to put up with reading it. (Or not, since you have probably all stopped reading by now.)

I don't consider what is happening me giving up at all. If I had left in July, when I seriously thought about it, that would have been giving up and that's why I didn't do it. I put a lot of thought into the decision to leave this time around. I'm not leaving because I hate the job, I complain about it but the honest truth is that I don't hate it. Not at all, it annoys me often enough but that's to be expected with any job that falls under the category of 'job' and not 'passion'. I hope to one day have a job that falls under the category of passion, if I can write for a living then that will be it. I've never been under any illusions that Hoyts is, and always will be, just a job.

My reasons for leaving are as simple as my reasons for coming here. Personal development. I didn't move to Auckland because I had any desire to live in Auckland. I moved here because the job I wanted to do happened to be in Auckland. If it had been in Dunedin I would have ended up there. I don't feel like I'm leaving after less than a year. I'm actually not. It was never about the city for me, it was about moving as far with the company as I possibly could. I've now done that. In my honest self-reflection a couple of months ago I admitted to myself that there is no more up for me in this company. I'm not cut out to be anything higher than I am now. My skills lie in other areas.

I was talking to Corrina earlier today about how much I admire people who can admit that a job paying a lot more money isn't as well suited to them as a job paying less. It's a hard thing to do, to admit you don't have the skills, or the ability to learn the skills, to really do a job well. But, I have admitted that I don't have the skills to be anything more in this company than what I am now. And, now that I have gone as far as I can, it is time to get out. I've been with the company 6 years, that's a significant amount of my working life up until now, it's time for me to move on. I'm going to miss it, that's for absolutely certain, but I am absolutely making the right decision.

I have no idea what I'm going to do next. I have a few options but no firm plans as yet. While I find this the most terrifying thing in the world I also find it the most exciting. I have a chance to do ANYTHING. It's very exciting.

I have itchy-bites. They suck.
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment