The World Of Jadeey: Ah ha, what? What, where’s the funny? Give it to me…



Ah ha, what? What, where’s the funny? Give it to me…

This girl I know (and don't like much) wants to be a stand-up comic. When I first heard that I will admit that I judged her for it. Stand-up comic to me just doesn't scream career. It only took about 15 seconds for me to realise how much of a hypocrite this made me since 'writer' also doesn't scream career, particularly in New Zealand. So, after my 15 seconds of judging her for it, I became extremely impressed and jealous in equal measure. Impressed because she knows what she wants and is out there making it happen. Jealous because I, so far, haven't been brave enough to take the plunge and make my dream a reality.

The thing is I witnessed some of her comedy last night. Um... It wasn't funny. And not just because I don't particularly like her. I was prepared to laugh a lot anyway but, sadly, I did not. Now, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure one of the prerequisites of being a stand-up comic is being funny. You don't necessarily have to be quick on your feet with the jokes (although I'm sure it helps) but you do have to be able to write good material and then perform it. From what I have seen she can't do this. She's not unfunny but she didn't seem to be 'this is my job, stand-up comic' funny. I broke a smile once or twice but the only time I laughed out loud was when she made a joke about how lame it was to do something that I actually do.

Now, I'm very easy to amuse but not as easy to make laugh raucously. I'm a pretty quiet person in general so I might give a brief chuckle but I'm not a 'throw back my head and chortle at the ceiling' kind of girl. When something makes me really, really laugh then I know it was top of the line funny. I don't need every purportedly funny thing to make me do this. I think that would be annoying actually. But, for me to not even laugh out loud is a worry for someone who wants to make this their career.

Oh well. Luckily my opinion doesn't have any impact on her success. She seems to be doing okay for herself in the comedy business. I'm probably just wrong. But, an evil little part of me will forever be slightly satisfied that I believe I am funnier than she is.
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment