The World Of Jadeey: It appears the website has become alive



It appears the website has become alive

This happens to computers and robots sometimes

My laptop is beginning to annoy me. It keeps getting really hot and that makes it all slow an annoying. Not to mention it burns my legs! I've run virus scans, spyware checks and defragged it and still it runs like crap. In fact, right now it is running so slow I'm typing about a sentence ahead of it appearing on the screen. Very annoying!

I'm bored. I feel like doing something but I'm not sure what, so that's not helpful. Perhaps I will watch a dvd... I have about a million I want to see, I bet I won't be able to choose one though!

There are heaps of New Zealand films about at the moment. Kat saw Perfect Creature last night and apparently it was pretty bad. I didn't even realise it was a New Zealand film actually!

New Zealand films generally annoy me because they are so bad. Don't get me wrong, every so often one will come along that is absolutely fantastic, but for the most part they are bad. In My Fathers Den is one of my absolute favourite films and it is a New Zealand film. But, it is a New Zealand film in the same way that King Kong and LOTR are New Zealand films. They are filmed here, by Kiwi directors but star non-Kiwis so cannot be completely classified as New Zealand films.

Actually, In My Fathers Den is far more of a New Zealand film that LOTR or King Kong. It is at least about Kiwis even if the main guy is British. And it's based on a book written by a New Zealander so I guess that qualifies it as a truly New Zealand film. I'm not sure really, it was funded through both the NZ film commission and the British film commission. I guess it's pretty debatable whether or not it is a New Zealand film.

The awful thing about the New Zealand films I like is that they don't generally look like New Zealand films. Kat talked yesterday about how she can't take the Kiwi accent seriously on film. For me that isn't the problem, isn't what annoys me. (Possibly because for university I watched so many foreign films I got very used to other accents, and other languages, in film). The big thing that annoys me (other than the often appalling acting) is the way they look. New Zealand films look like low-budget films and it makes me grumpy. I understand that we can't get big budgets over here but you can make a film look good even without a huge budget. (In My Fathers Den was a pretty small budget and it still looks good). It is this look (and the acting) that will stop us being taken very seriously on the world-scene. As a one-time wannabe filmmaker I am saddened by this.
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment