The World Of Jadeey: I'll be your hero baby



I'll be your hero baby

This post is going to be very disappointing for Kat I'm afraid. Kat, you may as well stop reading now. It's about sport.

Thing Holly Wonders About While She Should Be Working Number 1. Yes that's right folks. Here is the number one thing I wonder about when I should be working.

Will Stephen Fleming play cricket for New Zealand this year? Obviously he wasn't selected for the Twenty20 Championships. It was pretty much to be expected. He's stepped down as ODI captain, therefore also relinquishing any technical right to lead the Twenty20 team. Given that he's never been one of the group of players considered our strongest Twenty20 players he was probably never one of the first pencilled into the team anyway. But, despite knowing that he probably wouldn't be selected it's still had to hurt. (It also hurt me. I hate any team that doesn't feature Mr Fleming.)

Since not being selected for the championship he has been very silent. No-one (in the public) really knows what is going through his mind and whether he will continue playing or decide to retire completely from the game right now. Post World Cup 2007 he made his feeling very clear, he was stepping down as captain of the ODI team but still wanted to play and still wanted to lead the Test team. NZ Cricket, however, are notoriously stupid and it won't surprise me if they deny him the right to continue leading the test team. They might even be stupid enough to deny him the right to continue playing in the ODI team.

If NZ Cricket treat him badly they will almost definitely lose one supporter. That supporter is, of course, me. Cricket is my one great love, the thing I am most passionate about in the world but I could not bring myself to support a regime that treated my favourite ever player badly. A regime that made the best captain we have ever had, that possibly the world has ever had, and one of the best batsmen we have ever had, retire on their terms rather than his own. I would be fine with dropping him if he was no longer playing well but right now he is over there in England playing for his county and smashing the ball all over the park. I wouldn't say he's in the best form of his life but he is certainly in bloody good form.

I know this little tantrum seems a bit premature given that nothing has been said yet. I just know how NZ cricket work and am preparing myself for the worst. Thankfully they current selection panel are (aside from that fucker Bracewell) made up of ex-players I respect very much. I hope they will come through for me.

If I have to give up New Zealand cricket that doesn't mean I will be giving up cricket entirely. I just won't be supporting NZ in the same way I have. In the past I have travelled all over the country to watch games, I have even travelled to Australia to watch us play! I'll still watch it on tv and might even go to the occasional game in Wellington but won't be making an effort to give them my money. I will also be very keenly watching the Indian Cricket League. Stephen has been offered half a million dollars to play for them and, if he is not selected for NZ, I imagine he'll take them up on the offer. I'll be enthusiastically following that!

There you have it. The number one thing I wonder about is the fate of my favourite New Zealand cricket player. Somehow I'm sure no-one is all that surprised!
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment