The World Of Jadeey: Neanderthals spoke like Kiwis?



Neanderthals spoke like Kiwis?

I read an article today that claimed Neanderthals may have sounded like New Zealanders. The article actually really annoyed me. It says that scientists have used fossil evidence and voice synthasisers to get a simulation of what Neanderthals sounded like. Apparently the answer is that they sounded a little bit like New Zealanders.

It is stupid to say they sounded like New Zealanders. Apparently Neanderthals lacked the quantal vowel, meaning their e's sounded like i's because there is no distinction between how they say the two letters. It is from this part of the original article that the writer of the stuff.co.nz gets the idea that they may have sounded like Kiwis. Of course, we do have a very big defintion between our 'e' sound and our 'i' sound. I never hear someone with a New Zealand accent say 'bet' and think they've said 'bit'.

I'm guessing an Australian wrote the article. Australian's really don't hear the difference between our 'e' sound and our 'i' sound, unless they are used to talking to New Zealanders. But hey, I don't hear the difference when they say 'six' and 'sex', sounds like the exact same word to me. So suck on that Australians - you don't have a difference between your 'e' and 'i' sounds either! Maybe Neanderthals actually talked like Australians!
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

2 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger Kat said...

I still remember the time I was talking to a couple of Australians about The Omen and said

"It opened on the sixth of the sixth of oh-six in cinema six at six-oh-six"

they practically wet their pants, then they repeated it back to me and I couldn't stop laughing either

Good times

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Haha yeah I'm a child too. I never fail to laugh when an Australian says 'six'.

 

Post a Comment