The World Of Jadeey: I'm so ashamed of myself



I'm so ashamed of myself

I'm not normally conceited or up-myself. I joke about being awesome but it's always purely in jest and everyone who knows me knows that. However, today I was completely conceited when confronted with someone I hadn't seen in a long time and that I wanted to impress. My old English teacher.

When I was at school I had an English teacher who absolutely ADORED me. I'm serious. Total teacher's pet territory. I could get away with being late, not doing my homework and pretty much anything else I wanted. The funny thing about it was that this teacher hated pretty much everyone else and was extremely strict on everyone except me.

Anyway, I was walking past my old school today and she was standing outside. I stopped to say hi and she asked me what I was up to. Wanting to impress her, I said "Oh, I'm a writer." Stupid thing to say! Totally stupid. Of course she then asked me what I'd written and where she could get a copy. Quickly backtracking I replied "Ah, at this point I'm a largely unpublished writer. I guess I should have said I'm an aspiring writer" I followed this up with an extremely nervous laugh.

I then decided to follow with my original follow-up of "and i'm doing a post-graduate diploma in publishing this year." She seemed impressed at that. Wanting to continue to impress her and wipe the embarrassment of not being published when I had claimed to be a writer I went on to say "I did a couple of degrees a few years ago and since then I've been working full-time and writing in my spare time until I decided what to do next". She, of course, then asks me what my degrees were in. "Oh, a BA in psyc and film and a BCA in management." I reply. (Which reminds me, I either need to change my accent or start saying 'a BA in film and psyc' rather than 'psyc and film' because I'm sure people think I'm saying psyc in film.)

Thankfully I managed to stop rambling about how wonderful I was at that point and made a little bit of idle chit-chat before I went on my way. She seemed impressed enough but I'm sure she was actually thinking I'd turned into a conceited twit. Ah well.
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment