The World Of Jadeey: You don't treat me no good no more



You don't treat me no good no more

One thing I have noticed about Auckland compared to Wellington is the amount of people who continue living at home with their parents after high school. I lived at home with my parents until just before I turned 19 and this was actually considered kind of late. Perhaps it was just the group of people I spent time with but most of my friends were flatting right out of high school.

In Auckland heaps of people way older than 18 or 19 are still living at home. It's sensible, afterall why pay rent if you don't have to, but I do find it a bit odd that there is such a difference. Or maybe there isn't a difference at all. Maybe the difference has occurred over time and even in Wellington people aren't leaving home until much later.

I didn't particularly want to leave home it was just necessity that forced me out into the big, bad world. I didn't have my drivers licence, there was no public transport where I lived and I'd just got a job that sometimes meant I worked until 2 or 3 in the morning. My pride stopped me from asking my parents to continually pick me up at that time. A friend happened to need a new flatmate at that exact time so I moved out.

The thing that I find amusing about all of these people who live at home is that they still have to play by their parents rules. They are adults in the eyes of the law but they cannot fully act as adults. My parents were always very lenient with me, I never had curfews and my parents trusted me to make the correct decisions. (This is not to say I could get away with anything. If I did wrong, boy did I hear about it! But they trusted me and I was giving a fairly long reign right from a young age.) Despite the freedom I was given when I lived at home I still noticed the difference when I moved out. It is something that is hard to explain but it is an added freedom that I think it is impossible to get at home with your parents. (Unless you are one of those people who doesn't give a fuck what your parents say) No matter how lenient they are and how much they try to treat you as an adult you will always be their child and living under their roof you have to obey their rules.

There are things I definitely miss about living at home with my parents (the first and foremost is my actual parents!) but there is something to be said for going flatting early on. I've learnt how to fend for myself, how to budget and how to save power! :P I would never kick my children out of home (and I can't understand how any parent could do that) but I will definitely encourage them if they show any interest in flatting after the age of 18. (Perhaps when I am actually a parent I will not want to let go of them and won't want them to go though).

Okay dinner time. And also time to turn on a light. I am currently sitting in the dark. (and the bloody cold!)
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment