The World Of Jadeey: 19, you're only 19 for Gods sake!



19, you're only 19 for Gods sake!

I work with a lot of kids, well when I say kids I mean teenagers. However, some of these teenagers make me feel like I'm the one who is the kid. Other times I see that they are simply playing grown-ups and the benefit of being a little older shows me that they're making huge mistakes.

The main mistake I have seen be made recently is by a couple of nineteen year olds. (Hence the very fitting song lyric!) They have been dating for just over a year and they spend every moment together. I'm not exaggerating, I mean every moment. They both work here and work every shift together.

Anyway, they decided that they didn't want to live with the guy's grandmother anymore so they decided to find their own place. They had a lot of trouble finding someone that would rent to them so started looking at purchasing a house. (What the hell, people won't rent to them but they'll sell to them - crazy!)

They found a house they liked and put in an offer. They had no deposit but the banks are now being really sneaky (read: tricking people into getting a mortgage they can't afford) and offering 30 year mortgages with no deposit. So these two get themselves a mortgage. Now I know how much they earn since I'm their boss, it ain't pretty.

Today they come in and tell me they need some pay records for the last couple months because they are going to apply to Winz for an accommodation supplement because they are struggling with repayments. Um excuse me? How on earth do you get an accommodation supplement when you have a full-time job? I should get me one of those!

The idea that they stuck themselves with a mortgage always scared me. To me, 19 is just too young to be making that kind of commitment. Sheesh, I'm only just getting close myself and I've got almost 6 years on them.

Now, I have another couple who have been inspired by these two and are also thinking about buying a house together. The scary, scary part? The guy is 18 and the girl is only 17 and in her last year of high school. What the heck is going on? Why are these kids trying to grow up so fast? Stay at home where it's cheap/free kids! Stay at home as long as you possibly can!
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

2 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm that 18 year old your talking about.We are not trying to buy a house! Where did this come from?

Your crazy!! haha

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Yeah, think it must have turned out to be a passing/joking comment. It was definitely mentioned at some point though!

 

Post a Comment