The World Of Jadeey: Election '08



Election '08

Anyone want to have a guess as to what date Labour will pick for the election? Derek and I are having a sweepstake. Derek's picked November 1st. When I picked my date I thought the latest date it could be was the end of November. So I picked November 15th. Then I found out that the 15th is actually the last possible moment. I know I should switch to November 8. But I'm going to be risky and stick with the 15th. Somehow it feels like bad luck to switch when my date is still valid.

There's been a lot of discussion in my flat about who we're going to vote for. I'm a Labour supporter through and through, but I'm no longer 100% certain I'm going to vote for them this time around. Derek and I like to discuss strategy a lot.

There are a few strategies that have been bandied about. (Yes, we are aware that we are only 2 people.)

One is to vote National so that we have a strong government. Winston Peters holding the government, and the country, to ransom is getting pretty damn old. I'm not keen on this strategy at all. I'm entirely morally opposed to voting National. Also, I don't want National to be allowed to govern alone.

The second is to vote for the Greens. I don't love the Greens, but I do like them. I can handle a government made up of them and National if I have to. It'd be weird to have a left-wing minor party in coalition with a right-wing major party. But that's what MMPs all about - making sure the major parties are kept honest (as honest as politicians can be anyway) by the smaller ones.

The third is to vote for Labour and hope that we are wrong about Labour not having a hope in hell of winning.

Ah decisions, decisions. The beauty of election year!

Labels: ,

share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment