The World Of Jadeey: Language



Language

I was reading an article the other day about language and spelling. In particular the article was about the future of the English language. The main premise of the article was that in 15-20 years all English-speaking countries will have the same spelling.

As it is, I don't tend to notice when something is spelt with American spelling unless I'm really concentrating. If asked I could spell most words in our spelling our American spelling, I read so much that it isn't hard for me. As the most powerful country in the world of course spelling will follow the American's version.

If the article is right, it means the Brits and us Kiwis, among others, are going to have to spell colour as color; centre and center; favourite as favorite; labour as labor; recognise as recognize; and so on. It's not the worst change in the world but it saddens me nonethelesss. I think I'll really miss the letter U. (argh I'm such an editor now - I just hit publish and saw the letter U sitting all by itself on the last line. That's called a widow and is very unacceptable in the publishing world. It really annoyed me seeing it there!)
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment