The World Of Jadeey: What is the world coming to?



What is the world coming to?

A lot of people die in New Zealand these days. Back when I was a kid I'm sure it was less. I don't mean dying as in of old age. I mean a lot more people are murdered or killed via manslaughter (via? surely that is not the right word to use there. Not sure what other word I could use though so the via stays.)

It used to be that a murder/missing person would be the headline news for weeks at a time. Everyone would know about it, everyone would discuss it and everyone would have an opinion on it. Now it seems that someone will turn up murdered after being missing for a few weeks and I wouldn't have even heard about the missing part. Sometimes the murdered person might not even be the first news item! It certainly won't be the first news item after the first day. When I was a kid it would have been the first item for a few days at a time.

I guess in America they have been that way for a long time. I doubt most of their murders even make the headline news unless it's a serial killer/mass murder. Missing people certainly wouldn't. Australia are similar, I think it's been a long time since murder was a rarity there. But here, in little old New Zealand we were supposed to be safe. Apparently that is no longer the case and that saddens me.

When I was a kid it was pretty safe to go trick or treating (there were, of course, horror stories of psychos injecting poison into lollies but I'm not sure that ever actually happened), it was safe to be out after dark and to walk by yourself to school. From what I can gather it's no longer that way.

On a brighter note... Go Tonga! I have seen heaps of cars driving around today with Tongan flags on their roofs and in their windows. I hope they kick some Pommy butt. (I actually really like the England rugby team normally but I also love surprise upsets as long as they are not happening to us!)
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment