The World Of Jadeey: We just keep on waiting for the world to change



We just keep on waiting for the world to change

I've always found politics a dangerous subject to discuss with friends. It's fine if you have similar political views, but if they're different? Watch out.

Unfortunately this morning I did not heed my own advice and had a discussion (argument) about politics with a friend of mine.

It started because of this whole Labour election spending debacle. My friend said that it proves Labour is a crap party and shouldn't be in government. I firmly disagreed and said I thought it was dumb but could see why it happened and it doesn't really change my opinion of them. Now, I knew he voted National in the last election so didn't really want to get into anything anyway as he's an argumentative fella at the best of times. Alas, avoidance wasn't working so I got dragged into it.

He asked why I supported Labour when i'm a business woman and a fairly high income earner so (technically) my loyalties should lie with National. This is something that gets asked of my father a lot as he is in the top 5% income bracket in the country but is still a staunch Labour supporter. I answered in pretty much the same way he always does.

I support them because if I support National then I am essentially saying I want to be treated well at the expense of those in this country who can't afford to be treated badly. I would much prefer paying a few extra percent in tax so that those who don't have as much money as me can have decent and cheap health care, schooling etc.

Where do National supporters think the money they save on taxes is going to come from? It certainly ain't gonna come from the politician's pockets. It's going to be taken from the places that are actually in need of the money.

Don't worry, I'm not a saint and I desperately hate seeing how much of my money is taken away in tax. But when it really comes down to it, I don't want other people to suffer just so I can have a few extra fancy meals out each year.

My friend did not agree. He said it is their problem they can't get a job, not his. To a certain extent I can see where he's coming from. Without doubt some people on the dole don't need to be there and could get a job if they wanted. My flatmate was on the dole for at least 6 years purely because he liked it and didn't want a job. Some of his friends still are on the dole for the same reason. I would love it if there were tighter controls but when the government tried to bring in the Work for the Dole scheme it went down in a pile of flames.

There will always be dole bludgers but there are a hell of a lot of people out there who need government support for genuine reasons and it is for them that I am willing to pay extra tax. It's just a damn shame that those who don't deserve it also get the benefit.

Anyway I won't go on since I'm sure no-one really cares all that much about my political opinions and I really could go on all day if you let me. I'm sure everyone is hating me right now for the fact that all I've written about recently is cricket and politics. But I don't care cos you are all useless commenters! I've received 3 comments ever. (Thank you Ruwan, Sam and SpaceMonkey - although SpaceMonkey's was very mean)

For those of you who are just here for the movies I have a New Zealand film and a Polish film for you today:

1/ In My Fathers Den This is a New Zealand/British film commission joint project. It's bloody brilliant, by far my favourite New Zealand film ever. The story is powerful and the acting is outstanding. Oh, and it was based on a Maurice Gee book.

2/ Dekalog This is actually ten one-hour films (or tv docos according to imdb). Each one is based on one of the ten commandments but they are not religious films. They are stunningly shot and the kid is Dekalog 10 is actually the cutest kid in the whole wide world. I wouldn't recommend watching them all since that's ten hours of watching right there. But you should watch number 10. It's the coolest.

Labels: , ,

share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment