The World Of Jadeey: So what if I love you a little more than I should



So what if I love you a little more than I should

I was trying to think of song lyrics that had something to do with sport but I was drawing a blank. Still, my title is very descriptive of how much cricket means to me. I probably do love it a little more than I should.

And, yeah, I remembered something else I wanted to write about. :)

Summer is coming and that means.... CRICKET!!!

The boys are over in India at the moment playing in the Champions Trophy. They haven't played since March so have a couple of warm-up games before their first real match. For once we actually have a fully-fit team. Bondy is back and Styris got through his fitness test the day before they flew out. If only we had played a bit of cricket recently I would think we had a good chance of taking the trophy home again.

They had a warm-up match against a Mumbai Presidents XI yesterday. We only won by 39 runs but that doesn't really matter.

Louie Vincent and Stephen Fleming got 50s at the top of the order. Hamish Marhsall chimed in with 43 and Brendan McCullum got a fairly quick 27. Not overly impressive scores but not bad when you remember that it has been a long time since they did any more than net practice. It takes a while to get that match fitness back and hopefully the boys will be up to the task when they take on South Africa on the 16th. That's going to be a bloody hard first match for us but I think (and don't quote me on it) that South Africa haven't played since March either so at least that evens out the playing field a little.

I'm convinced (and devastated) that the World Cup will be Stephen Fleming's final tour. I've loved him since I was 14 and I've never admired and adored another player the way I do him. There is going to be a very big void in my heart which will need filling when he retires. Actually, I don't think any cricketer will come near Fleming in my eyes.

I hope these next few months are good for him and that he (and more importantly the team, because that's what he really cares about.) do well. One thing I both love and hate about Fleming is that when he does well the team tends to win but when he doesn't do well the whole team suffers and winning is an uphill battle. Astle is one of the few others in the current team who, when they do well, you just know your team is going to do bloody well. I just wish both of them did well more often because there is nothing I like more than watching us win a cricket match. (Well actually, I probably enjoyed Stephen's 2 double centuries as much as any win I've ever watched.)

Ok I should probably stop there, I could go on about him all day. My friends can atest to that. There are three people they begin rolling their eyes when I start talking about, Hugh Laurie, Colin Hanks and Stephen Fleming.

Haha sorry guys. I bet most of you skipped this entire post! :)

Labels: ,

share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

2 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Not me. I read most of the way through til the end.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Only most of the way to the end? How rude! :)

 

Post a Comment