The World Of Jadeey: The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire



The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire

I was going through my Itunes library this morning to create a playlist that I could write to. It has to be music that I enjoy but that won't stop me from concentrating. One thing that pissed me off was the sheer amount of music there and it's not even half my collection - I have another 8gb on a hard drive that isn't in my computer.

On this computer I have 2.7 days worth but the most annoying thing is that so much of it is badly named. I probably skip heaps of tracks I would like to listen to just because it is badly named so I don't notice it. So, I spent an hour or so renaming tracks which was pretty boring but, ultimately, satisfying.

Going through my music got me thinking about a short video that I've been planning to edit for ages and haven't got around to. At the cricket last year I took my video camera and did some filming of the warm-ups. I then planned to edit it up and chuck some music on it. I like to do it cos it's really good editing practice and a nice time to experiment. I also spend a lot of time editing home movies of my nephew and little cousins for the same reason.

Anyway, this led me to thinking about music choices at the cricket. I love how every player gets a song (of their choice usually) to come into bat to and then the stadium announcer (or someone) chooses music that plays when they get out. I reckon choosing the music would be an awesome job. Of course, my dream job is to be one of the editors for Sky at the cricket - I would be in heaven if I managed to get that job.

So, thinking about the music reminded me of something really funny, and I thought a little insulting, that happened last year. The Sri Lankans were here finishing their tour that had to be cut short due to the tsunami the year before. They have a player named Maharoof. Sri Lanka were doing ok, actually they were doing really well and I was getting a little worried, it was Maharoof's turn to bat. He's pretty handy with the bat, has a decent strike rate and a couple of 50s to his name, exactly what you want in a lower order batsman. When the Lankans were fielding he had taken at least 1 wicket and a couple of catches. At the time I commented that his name sounded like My Roof and had been humming the Bloodhound Gang's song ever since.

Unfortunately for him but brilliantly for us Maharoof was LBW to Bond off his second ball. The song that accompanied him from the pitch? The Bloodhound Gang's of course. It really was the obvious choice. However, I did feel that it wasn't well thought through because they played far too much of the song to be appropriate. (either for poor Maharoof or the family audience that attends cricket matches). This is what played:

The roof the roof the roof is on fire
The roof the roof the roof is on fire
The roof the roof the roof is on fire
We don't need no water let the motherfucker burn
Burn motherfucker burn

The implications of saying that? I think it's lucky there was no complaints to be honest. Maharoof had every right to be damn insulted as did any parents attending with their children. I'm sure the only thing that saved a complaint from Maharoof is that, hopefully, he knew letting it play through wasn't intended to insult him but just that someone hadn't thought the idea through very well.

I'll wrap this post up with a quick rundown on how the boys faired in their match against Baroda yesterday.

Stephen Fleming was rested which gave Daniel Vettori a chance to take the reins. This move is expected, Vettori often captains one match per series now and almost always captains warm-up matches. I think there is no doubt who is going to take over when Flem retires. I have my reservations about it, but now is not the time to discuss that.

Louie Vincent reminded us all what we have been missing while he's been injured, with a 24 ball 36 runs at the top of the order. (a warning - cricinfo got it wrong and says he got 4 while Astle got 36. The truth is that Astle got 4 and Vincent got 36 - trust me). Hamish Marshall got 40 and Styris got to 52 before retiring hurt. Bondy contributed a nice 43 off 42 balls which is cool from someone who would be in the team even if he (reminiscent of Danny Morrison - who I adore by the way) got a duck every innings.

The batting was not the exciting bit of this game though. What I wanted to see (bear in mind I couldn't actually see it since it wasn't on tv, but you know what I mean) was how Mark Gillespie would go with the ball. I'm over the moon with excitement at the idea of having two genuine quicks for the World Cup. He did well too, claiming 3 wickets and an economy rate of 2.71. The Indian tracks are generally pretty flat so I really look forward to seeing him in January on the hard, fast surfaces in Australia.

I should point out that it was great to have big Jake Oram back in the team. He got 23 runs and bowled nicely. He didn't take any wickets but his economy rate was 2.42. I have nothing to complain about in regards to him considering I had wondered if he would ever make it back to the team.

That was it, another easy win for the Black Caps, as it should be.

By the way, did anyone know that Shane Bond has the best bowling average in world cricket at the moment? (well the best bowling average of established bowlers - anyone who has claimed at least 75 wickets). I think that's great and the perfect note to end this post on.

Labels: ,

share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment