The World Of Jadeey: The worst NZ cricketers



The worst NZ cricketers

I read an article the other day that was entitled "NZ's worst of the worst cricketers in the last 20 years" The choices were taken straight from their stats. I found it quite interesting and it inspired me to make my own list.

So, today in class (we were doing grammar, it was sending me to sleep) I made my list. Now, I was in class so obviously this is NOT based on statistics in the slightest. I've also probably missed some players out because I was just going off memory. My list also only encompases the last 10-15 years since before that I was a bit young to really remember bad players. Also, my list is bad cricketers at international level, the article was just bad at test level. (So some of the choices there were actually fantastic ODI cricketers)

First I'll list the article's choices. Then I'll put in mine and the reasons I chose them. I'll then go and look up their stats to see if I got it anywhere near right statistically, or if I chose some brilliant players to put in my worst XI. (This I might not do tonight). Sometime in the near future I'll make a better, more statistically accurate, version of my list. I don't particularly agree with the article's list since some of the players were only selected for 1 or 2 games and the stats make them out to be far worse than they actually were.

The article's XI (in batting order)
Darrin Murray
Blair Hartland
Phil Horne
Richard Jones
Chris Harris
Justin Vaughan
Lee Germon
Mark Haslam
Robert Kennedy
Chris Pringle
Geoff Allot

My choices

Matthew Bell
Chris Nevan
Tama Canning
Matthew Hart
Jeff Wilson
The slightly tubby Cantabury captain who's name escapes me
Richard Petri
Mark Haslam
Heath Davis
Mark Orchard
Kerry Walmsly
Shayne O'Connor (12th Man)

Okay and now my justifications:

Matt Bell - A GREAT Wellington batsman. Back in about 1998 or 1999 he had the highest first class batting stats in the Shell Cup and Shell Trophy. I couldn't wait for him to get selected. I don't think he even ever made it into double figures once he was selected for the Black Caps though, not that first time around. He's been slightly better this time around but nowhere near international standard. I think they broke him when they didn't give him enough support during his first foray into international cricket..

Chris Nevan - Similar to Matty Bell actually. He was a great batsman for Wellington and a terrific keeper. Those skills just never translated when he was selected to play at international level. Once again, I was very disappointed as I had been gunning for his selection.

Tama Canning - Vaunted as this amazing player who was going places. The only place he seemed to be going when he put on the New Zealand uniform was nowhere.

Matthew Hart - I don't think he ever got selected again after the drug scandal he was involved in (along with Stephen Fleming and Dion Nash). But, even before that, he wasn't that great anyway. Certainly nothing to write home about.

Jeff Wilson - Not bad before he chose rugby (and you can't begrudge him that choice) but once he came back it seemed like he'd lost the magic he once had. He could never quite recapture it.

The slightly tubby Cantabury captain who's name escapes me - If anyone could help me out with this guy's name I'd appreciate it. Anyway, his skill at state level just couldn't be replicated at international level

Richard Petri - Another brilliant Wellingtonian. He wasn't selected until he was quite old, but I was excited when he was. He had this amazing ability for Wellington to turn a game around with the bat or the ball. His captaincy was brilliant too. Sadly he did not have the ability to do anything except get out when he batted for NZ and give away runs when he bowled for them.

Mark Haslam - Mark who? Enough said.

Heath Davis - ANOTHER Wellingtonian. (anyone sensing a theme?) A great bowler when he actually sent down legitimate deliveries. Very fast, looked for a while there like he was going to be the next big thing in fast bowling circles. Unfortunately he had a big problem with overstepping. He pretty much bowled at least 1 no-ball an over. Not what you want in your team.

Mark Orchard - This one hurts since, like a few of the others, I hugely anticipated his arrival into the international team. Unfortunately he didn't set any stages alive. I thought he looked really good, but he just couldn't seem to get the wickets.

Kerry Walmsly - His selection didn't even cause a ripple on the international scene. He just wasn't good.

Shayne O'Connor - I really liked him and he did actually play for New Zealand for quite a while. Unfortunately, I think that was more to do with the awful quality of bowlers around at the time rather than to do with his skill. I don't think he ever had any batsman really quacking in their boots. He was, however, one of the nicest guys I have ever met and I feel awful even including him in this list.
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment