The World Of Jadeey: Is it time to make a change?



Is it time to make a change?

What do you do when your boss is demanding the impossible? When you are actually being asked to do something that you cannot do. Because that is what is happening to me and it's driving me insane.

I'm lucky in that my immediate boss is on my side and believes what I'm being asked to do is impossible. But even with the two of us arguing that they are wrong, upper management are insisting. What is this impossible task I have been set? Those of you who work with me can already guess I'm sure. It's the god-damn roster.

I am being asked to create a roster that matches what we call our 'grid' or our 'matrix'. When they were preparing our budget they created a grid based on an Australian site that upper management decided was similar to our site in terms of labour needed to run it. This grid matches up the number of hours we are allowed to use based on our forecasted admit levels. If we get our forecast wrong then our duty managers are expected to cut or add hours to match.

The problem is that everyone at my site believes when they created our grid they got it wrong. I cannot seem to make a roster that is even close to grid. I'm usually over a hundred hours too many. Oh, of course I could make a roster that matches grid but I can't make a workable roster that matches.

It is incredibly tempting to enter a week with a perfectly matched to grid roster but the repercussions to our customers make it not worth it. I am at a loss and don't know what more I can do. No-one above my immediate boss (the one who is on my side) appears to be willing to actually take a look at our roster and show us where to cut the hours. The standard answer seems to be "It's Holly's job and she's not doing it very well."

Add to this the fact that I constantly have staff bitching at me. Both because they are not getting enough hours and because there are not enough staff on each shift. I get phone calls from upper management telling me to cut hours because that is my job. I try to argue and get told in no uncertain terms that I have to do it. I then make cuts and get angry duty managers and staff telling me I shouldn't have done it. I actually am stuck between a rock and a hard place and very few people get it. Those that do never bitch at me about it and I appreciate that more than they can ever know.

I'm reaching breaking point on this issue. I dream about the roster, I think about it on my days off and I obsess over it when I'm at work. I don't get paid enough for this grief that's for sure. I'm now hanging on for a few select people. My immediate boss because it's not his fault and I don't want to leave him in the lurch, my co-assistant manager who will be stuck with the roster if I leave and my flatmate who provides immeasurable support every time I come home from work utterly defeated due to the fucking roster. But I tell you what, if this continues for much longer there will be a Holly-shaped hole in the office door at work.
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment