The World Of Jadeey: It might be a quarter-life crisis



It might be a quarter-life crisis

My flatmate is updating her blog everyday and so, being ultra-competitive, I am going to update everyday too. As a self-proclaimed future world-famous author I may as well make an effort to actually write!

I'm not sure if I have mentioned my desire to be a social worker here before. Being a writer or being a social worker are the only two careers I can imagine for myself. My parents and close friends don't want me to be a social worker which leaves me with writer. I have to agree with those who tell me I'm crazy to want to get into social work. Their reasoning is that it will break me and I can certainly see that they are probably right. I like to think that I am a fairly strong person but I feel things very deeply.

I'm not sure the potential harm to myself is reason enough not to do it. What if I could actually help lots of people. My dad was a fireman, that's a pretty dangerous occupation and yet he risked himself time and again for other people. The only difference between that and the potential danger to me as a social worker is that his danger was physical mine would be emotional. When it comes down to it my danger is minimal in comparison because I can come up with ways to avoid it, my own support people, my writing etc. I can find ways to deal with the emotional damage it will do to me and I believe I could really make a difference.

Writing this now brings me right back to wanting to do it. Damn. I kind of wish I hadn't started thinking about it again. I'd decided earlier this year that everyone was right. Hell I can't even think about the deaths of the mice living in our hot water cupboard (their deaths haven't occurred yet but the trap is set so it won't be long now) without getting a bit upset. I probably shouldn't be a social worker yet I can't help thinking again right now that maybe I am supposed to be even if it is detrimental to my own self.

My dad keeps ringing me up and telling me about admin jobs (not PA jobs, jobs such as working for Trade and Enterprise, as a business manager etc. Highly paid but essentially boring, behind a desk administration jobs) he has seen advertised. He fails to listen when I tell him that I have no interest in administration. It's not his fault, he wants me to be rich and successful yet everything I actually want to do will probably end with me living in squalor since neither writing or social work are likely to make me a huge amount of money. Okay so squalor is a huge exaggeration but lets face it, I'm not going to be rich with either of those occupations. My dad will support me no matter what I do but if he can lead me into the boring world of admin then I think he will be very happy.

Oh look at the time. I am going to be late if I don't get going. Woo stocktake night. Could life get anymore exciting?
share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment