The World Of Jadeey: I could care less



I could care less

It always amuses me when I hear people completely misusing a phrase. I think the most commonly misused phrase would be, 'I could care less'. Well, if you can care less then you are not caring the least possible amount are you?

I am also amused when people write that they are 'guttered'. Essentially that means you are in the gutter. It's supposed to be 'gutted' like had your guts removed. I've noticed on Facebook that 'guttered' is very commonly used.

Other misused phrases I thought of: (some commonly, others not)
- I'm telling on the teacher. (Kids used to say that all the time at my school. They meant they were telling the teacher.)
- It's a doggy dog world. (I heard this on the bus one day. I assume the person meant dog EAT dog world.)
- For all intensive purposes. (Should be all INTENTS and purposes)
- Irrigardless (instead of regardless)
- I did a 360 on the issue (so you're back where you started? You would have been better off doing a 180)

Labels: ,

share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

2 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought a 360 meant you did a complete turn around and you're now starting from scratch sort of thing.... doing a 180 makes almost no sense to me...

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Holly said...

That does make sense...

180 is when someone changes their mind about something to the complete opposite. Eg. John Key said before the election that he wasn't going to cut staff in the public sector. After the election he did a complete 180 and has cut 150 jobs in the Ministry of Social Development alone.

I've heard people using 360 in that context which doesn't work.

 

Post a Comment