The World Of Jadeey: Book shame



Book shame

A few years ago I didn't care if what I was reading was trash, and I didn't care who saw me. So what if I was sitting on the train reading Marian Keyes? I wouldn't even have been embarrassed to be reading something as trashy as Twilight. It never even occurred to me that people might judge me based on what I was reading.

Since doing my publishing course last year I constantly feel ashamed if I am reading something trashy. I'm slowly making my way through my book collection because it gives me something to do on the train and something to do on lunch breaks when I'm not meeting anyone or don't feel like wandering the shops. This means I'm reading a lot of trash. I own some quality fiction, but I also own a lot of not-quality fiction. I noticed the other day that if I'm reading something I consider 'not-quality' then I'll take great care to keep the cover hidden.

I yearn for the days of yesteryear when I wasn't ashamed of my reading material.

Labels: ,

share this: facebook
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

1 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Kat said...

I'm the same. Ever since my English degree I've been ashamed of my lesser quality reading material.

The funny thing is noone really cares - I don't judge a person reading trash at all, yet I'm sure others judge me.

 

Post a Comment